4 km) closer to central London, at Waterloo Bridge station (renamed Waterloo Station in 1886), and the terminus at Nine Elms was abandoned.  The proprietors of Battersea Bridge, concerned about a potential loss of customers, petitioned Parliament against the scheme, stating that [Dodd] is a well known adventurer and Speculist, and the projector of numerous undertakings upon a large scale most if not all of which have failed , [n 2] and the bill was abandoned. Exemptions were granted for mail coaches, soldiers on duty and parliamentary candidates during election campaigns. It crosses the River Thames in a southâeast northâwest direction between Vauxhall on the south bank and Pimlico on the north bank bridges dating services. In 1963 the Glass Age Development Committee commissioned a design for a replacement bridge at Vauxhall,  inspired by the design of the Crystal Palace,  to be called the Crystal Span. [n 4] After the construction of the foundations and piers it was then discovered that the clay of the riverbed at this point would not be able to support the weight of a concrete bridge.  Regalian disliked the proposals and requested Farrell design a single large office block bridges dating services. Farrell designed a self-contained community of shops, housing, offices and public spaces for the site.  The developers failed to pay the agreed compensation to the owners of Battersea Bridge and were taken to court; after a legal dispute lasting five years a judgement was made in favour of Battersea Bridge, with Vauxhall Bridge being obliged to pay Â£8,234 (about Â£644,000 in 2017  As well as the compensation awarded by the courts to Battersea Bridge in 1821, the 1809 Act also obliged the Vauxhall Bridge Company to pay compensation to the operators of Huntley Ferry, the Sunday ferry service to Vauxhall Gardens, with the level to be decided by a jury of 24 honest, sufficient and indifferent men. In 1963 it was proposed to replace the bridge with a modern development containing seven floors of shops, office space, hotel rooms and leisure facilities supported above the river, but the plans were abandoned because of costs. Despite formal objections from both Lambeth and Westminster Councils, the GLC ignored the objections. Originally built with tram tracks, New Vauxhall Bridge was the first in central London to carry trams. New Spring Gardens, 1751 Dodd submitted a scheme for a bridge at Vauxhall of 13 arches.  Immediately to the east of the southern end of the bridge, a slipway provides access for amphibious buses between the road and river. The original bridge, the first iron bridge over the Thames, was built by a private company and operated as a toll bridge before being taken into public ownership in 1879.  In 1806 a scheme was proposed by Ralph Dodd to open the south bank of the Thames for development, by building a new major road from Hyde Park Corner to Kennington and Greenwich, crossing the river upstream of the existing Westminster Bridge. With the exception of housing around the New Spring Gardens (later Vauxhall Gardens) pleasure park, opened in around 1661,  the land at Vauxhall remained sparsely populated into the 19th century,  with the nearest fixed river crossings being the bridges at Westminster, 1 mile (1.  Walker s report led to the design being abandoned for the second time, and Walker himself was appointed to design and build a bridge of nine 78-foot (24 m) cast-iron arches with stone piers, the first iron bridge to be built across the Thames.  Concerns were raised about the construction of the piers, and engineer James Walker was appointed to inspect the work. Millbank Bridge During the Second World War the government was concerned that Axis bombers would target the bridge, and a temporary bridge known as Millbank Bridge was built parallel to Vauxhall Bridge, 200 yards (180 m) downstream. 6 km) downstream, and Battersea, 2 miles (3.
 The Crystal Span was to have been a seven-story building supported by two piers in the river, overhanging the river banks at either end.  The lowest floor would have contained two three-lane carriageways for vehicles, with a layer of shops and a skating rink in the centre of the upper floors. The Effra had to be rerouted to join the Thames to the north of the bridge. With the granite piers already in place, it was decided to build a steel superstructure onto the existing piers, and a superstructure 809 feet (247 m) long and 80 feet (24 m) wide was designed by Binnie and Maurice Fitzmaurice and built by LCC engineers at a cost of Â£437,000 (about Â£43,140,000 in 2017 The new bridge soon became a major transport artery and today carries the A202 across the Thames. Work on Binnie s design began, but was beset by problems. Vauxhall Bridge and Nine Elms station in 1847 Usage rose considerably in 1838 when the terminus of the London and South Western Railway was built at nearby Nine Elms. This forms part of Cycle Superhighway 5. Regent Bridge shortly after opening On 4 June 1816, over five years after construction began, the bridge opened, initially named Regent Bridge after George, Prince Regent, but shortly afterwards renamed Vauxhall Bridge. Leading architects condemned the design, with Arthur Beresford Pite describing it as a would-be Gothic architectural form of great vulgarity and stupid want of meaning ,  and T G Jackson describing the bridge designs as a sign of the utter apparent indifference of those in authority to the matter of art. In the event, Vauxhall Bridge survived the war undamaged, and in 1948 Millbank Bridge was dismantled. Opened in 1906, it replaced an earlier bridge, originally known as Regent Bridge but later renamed Vauxhall Bridge, built between 1809 and 1816 as part of a scheme for redeveloping the south bank of the Thames.  The Bill incorporated the Vauxhall Bridge Company, allowing it to raise up to Â£300,000 (about Â£20 million in 2017 ) by means of mortgages or the sale of shares, and to keep all profits from any tolls raised.  The government then bought the site and design as a future headquarters for the Secret Intelligence Service,  and the design was accordingly modified to increase security. 3 million in 2017 ) to build; with the costs of approach roads and compensation payments, the total cost came to Â£297,000 (about Â£20. In 1809 a new bill was presented to Parliament, and the proprietors of Battersea Bridge agreed to allow it to pass and to accept compensation. The bridge today is an important part of London s road system and carries the A202 road across the Thames. To counter the increased load of extra traffic, the council announced the replacement of the cast-iron balustrades with low box-girder structures. The southern end of the upper floors was to house a luxury hotel, whilst the northern end was to house the modern art collection of the nearby Tate Gallery,  which at this time was suffering from a severe shortage of display space.  Rennie s design was rejected, and instead construction began on a nine arch iron bridge designed by Samuel Bentham. Westminster Bridge, opened in 1740, connects Westminster to Lambeth; Huntley Ferry crosses the river on the site of the future Vauxhall Bridge. Its girders were shipped to Northern Rhodesia and used to span a tributary of the Zambezi.
 On 9 May 1811, Lord Dundas laid the foundation stone of the bridge on the northern bank. The bridge was declared a Grade II* listed structure in 2008, providing protection to preserve its character from alteration. 9 million in 2017 Vauxhall Bridge in 1829 In anticipation of the areas surrounding the bridge becoming prosperous suburbs, tolls were set at relatively high rates on a sliding scale, ranging from a penny for pedestrians to 2s 6d for vehicles drawn by six horses.  Meanwhile, the large Millbank Penitentiary was built near the northern end of the bridge, discouraging housing development. Diverted outflow of the River Effra into the Thames, beneath Drury s Science Sir Alexander Binnie, the resident engineer of the London County Council (LCC), submitted a design for a steel bridge, which proved unpopular. In 1815 John Doulton built the Doulton & Watts (later Royal Doulton) stoneware factory at Vauxhall, and consequently instead of the wealthy residents anticipated by the company, the area began to fill with narrow streets of working class tenements to house the factory s workers.  In addition to people visiting the Gardens themselves, Vauxhall Gardens were used as a launch point for hot air balloon flights, and large crowds would gather on the bridge and surrounding streets to watch the flights.  The structure itself would have been enclosed in an air conditioned glass shell. The SIS Building now dominates the southern end of the bridge In 1988 Regalian Properties purchased the site, and appointed Terry Farrell as architect.  The bridge cost Â£175,000 (about Â£12.  Plans to build large stone abutments had to be suspended when it was found that the southern abutment would block the River Effra, which by this time had been diverted underground to serve as a storm relief sewer and which flowed into the Thames at this point.  In 2015, the extra lane of motor traffic was removed in favour of a kerb-protected two-way cycle track, on the north-east side of the bridge. The original bridge was built on the site of a former ferry.  The entire structure would have been 970 feet (300 m) long and 127 feet (39 m) wide. Vauxhall Bridge Vauxhall Bridge Statistics Vauxhall Bridge is a Grade II* listed steel and granite deck arch bridge in central London.  Consequently, toll revenues were initially lower than expected, and the dividends paid to investors were low.  However, the area around the bridge failed to develop as expected. 2 km) upstream. At the request of the LCC, Binnie submitted a new design for a bridge of five spans, to be built in concrete and faced with granite. Millbank Bridge was built of steel girders supported by wooden stakes; however, despite its flimsy appearance it was a sturdy structure, capable of supporting tanks and other heavy military equipment. .